BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fixing Things

"If you're determined to fix every situation you deem as bad, or difficult, or somehow unsavory, then you rob the person of their own chance to fix it, learn from it, or even grow from it. Some things, no matter how painful, happen for a reason. A reason you or I may not be able to grasp at first sight, not without knowing a person's entire life story—their cumulative past. And to just barge in and interfere, no matter how well-intentioned, would be akin to robbing them of their journey. Something that's better not done.”
― Alyson Noel, Shadowland

Recently I had a good friend make an awful decision. It was one that broke my heart as well as the hearts of many others around him and I'm sure his own. I didn't know how to process the whole thing or what I was supposed to do next. I wanted to do something to help him although deep down I knew there was nothing that I could do. While talking to one of my best friends he explained to me that everybody has to come to their own knowledge of what the Atonement can do for them. He told me that if I stepped in and fixed his problems I would be replacing Jesus Christ as his Savior. I would be denying him the opportunity of coming to know and understand the Atonement as I have. In the long run I would only be hurting him.

This has been something that I have thought of the past month or so. It has been brought to the forefront of my mind again as I have recently had others try to dissolve my own unfavorable behaviors. While I appreciate the concern that they have for me, just as I had concern for my friend, I wish they would allow me learn what I am supposed to learn from my experiences.

Everyone has things that they have to learn at their own time and in their own way. It does no good to deny somebody the opportunity to learn these things no matter how dire the situation may seem. Don't get me wrong. Love and support are always needed. But there must be a difference between supporting someone and doing it for them.

0 comments: